Reading is the most basic skill to learn when trying to master English. Once you can read, you can read more and learn more, and therefore continue to learn more.
Once you can read you can see how English is written, see the structure and see the grammar that is used, so by learning to read you will open up many areas of English to learn in the future.
What is Needed for ESL Reading Comprehension
To become successful at ESL reading comprehension you need to practice. You need to learn vocabulary and remember it so that when you see the word in a passage you know what it means.
There are two ways to do this. The first is to start reading and then look up each word that you do not know in a dictionary. When doing this you should write the words down in a list with a definition so that you can revise them and make sure you remember them.
The other way is to learn vocabulary from vocabulary lists or flashcards. Then when you see the word in a reading comprehension you will know it already. Both methods are good and will help you become better at understanding English during reading exercises or activities.
Reading Comprehension Tips
- As with learning anything, the best way to get better is to practice. This means that you should read and understand as much as possible.
- Read about topics that interest you. Any reading practice will be beneficial.
- However, also read about a wide range of topics as this will mean you improve your vocabulary more.
- Read often, if possible everyday.
- Make lists of new words and spend time learning all this new vocabulary.
- Chose reading passages that are just right. This means that if it is too easy you will not be learning anything new and if it is too hard you will find it difficult and also not learn as well as you could.