Welcome to Fifth Grade! I hope you all had a wonderful and restful summer break. I am excited about the opportunity to get to know you, and I am looking forward to a happy and productive school year.
I am Mrs. Gracia Tamayo and I will be your child’s Homeroom, Mathematics and Science Teacher this year. This is my second year in Chinese International School Manila and my fifteenth year in the profession, having taught Mathematics in Grade School, Middle and High School at various schools in Singapore and Jakarta, Indonesia; giving teacher trainings to various international schools in Jakarta and coaching students for various Mathematical Olympiads.
On the following pages are a few general guidelines for the Grade 5-GT Class, as well as the class schedule.
Should you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to get in touch. You may email me at firstname.lastname@example.org, send me a note via your child’s homework notebook, or set an appointment through the school office (at 02 7980011). I look forward to meeting you soon, and working with you in ensuring your child’s success in the coming year.
Gracia D. Tamayo
Mathematics and Science Facilitator
Grade 5 Homeroom Teacher
After-School Activities and Club (ASAC) Coordinator
- Hours / Schedule
- 7:30 am to 2:30 pm
- 8:20 am late start on Wednesdays.
- 3:30 pm dismissal on club days (some clubs may go on till later).
- Punctuality is emphasized.
- Library Day is on Thursdays.
- Pastoral (Guidance) is every third Friday of the month.
- Attached is a copy of your child’s class schedule for your guidance.
- Personal Belongings
- All items should be clearly labeled with your child’s name.
- Please send a water bottle in with your child each day.
- Gadgets and toys are to be kept at home unless required by the teacher for academic purposes.
- Personal Hygiene Kit
Each student is required to have a personal hygiene kit, which will be kept in their classroom cubbies for them to use when needed. Please use a container that is durable and compact. This kit should contain the following items, each clearly labeled with your child’s name:
- extra set of clothes (shirt, shorts/pants, underwear, socks)
- insect repellant
- wet wipes
- small face towel
- Please label and cover your child’s notebooks with plastic, and send them back to school by Friday, August 10.
- Snack and Lunch
- Healthy food and drinks are encouraged.
- Please refrain from sending junk food or soda.
- P.E. days are Mondays and Fridays. Please be sure to send your child’s P.E. uniform on these days.
- Friday is casual dress day. We do not want to restrict your child in terms of their clothing choice for Fridays; however, for safety purposes, we encourage them to ensure their choice in footwear will enable them to participate in the day’s class activities.
- Should your child need any medication, please ensure that it is left with our School Nurse at the Clinic on the first floor.
- Homework will be given Monday through Thursday; Friday only if it is a necessity or a long term project. Homework is given to ensure that the child understands what was taught in class and allows the student to practice the skills learned. This independent practice is essential to learning the concept and will also teach responsibility. Your child will have approximately 30 minutes of homework nightly. Long term projects will be in addition to this time not a part of it. Should you have any questions about a particular subject or concept, please feel free to contact your child’s teacher.
- Grading Scale
- Your child will earn letter marks for their report card grade. Class work, homework, projects and tests/quizzes are used to calculate your child’s grade. Percentage of each category as well as the grade boundaries for each letter grade will be informed soon.
- 10. Home-School Communication
- Your child’s homework notebook will be sent home daily. Please make sure to check and sign it daily.
- I will also be sending home communication letter every two weeks that contains the incoming topics and assessments in Mathematics and Science so that you will be in the loop of your child’s progress in the subjects.
- Email: email@example.com
- If you wish to set an appointment with me, please contact the school office at (02) 7980011.