- Flat shapes: circle, triangle, square, rectangle, trapezoid, hexagon
- Solid shapes: sphere, cylinder, cone, pyramid, cube, rectangular prism
- A part of a whole (the number on top tells how many parts are taken, the number below tells the total number of parts in a whole)
- Example: 1/2 of a pie means the pie is divided into 2 parts and 1 part is taken
- A part of a set or group of things (the number on top tells how many parts are taken, the number below tells how many smaller groups the set is divided into)
- Example: 1/3 of a box of 12 cupcakes means the 12 cupcakes are divided into 3 smaller groups and 1 group of 4 cupcakes is taken
Learning about Filipino folklore was so much fun! The children sang a silly children’s song called “Tong, Tong, Tong, Tong, Pakitong-kitong,” in which all vowels of the words are changed to /a/ all throughout, then /e/, /i/, /o/ and /u/. The song talked about how a big and yummy crab is hard to catch in the sea.
The children learned to dance Tinikling, which imitates the movement of the bird called tikling. Two are assigned to open and close the poles while dancers cross without having their feet caught.
They also acted out “The Monkey and the Turtle” folktale after listening to it. In the story, Monkey tried to outsmart Turtle by getting the part of the banana tree with fruits and giving the other half with roots to Monkey. In the end, Turtle out-smarted Monkey by telling the latter that he would drown in the water if the latter threw him there, and Monkey did! (More photos in the Gallery)
- Forests and rainforests
Seed dispersal and pollination
Service Learning aims to apply the knowledge and skills that children learn at school in order to help other people. This school year, Grade 2 decided to help pediatric ward of Philippine General Hospital, in line with their lessons on government, public service (i.e., government hospital), buying and selling goods and services in Social Studies, as well as recycling which they discussed in Science. Both 2MP and 2ML thought that they could cheer up and keep the children patients busy during their hospital stay by sending activity kits (i.e., art materials, activity sheets).
In order to raise funds, Grade 2 planned for a fundraising fair along with Grades 1 and 3. Grade 2MP recycled materials for the games Knock ‘Em Down and Shoot ‘Em In. They also discussed the rules, specific jobs as well as the schedule.
On May 24th, everyone was so excited! The school community participated at the FUNdraising Fair by buying, playing games and assisting in every way they could. It was a HUGE success!!! Thank you, dear parents, teachers, staff and students for being a part of our Service Learning project! Till next school year! (More photos at the Gallery, thanks to a parent!)
- Song – “Tong, Tong, Tong, Tong, Pakitong-kitong” (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtmyNIWutkY)
- Folktale – “The Monkey and the Turtle” (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FC96ce2g3kY)
- Dance – tinikling (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiyY37Jjgww)
- Art – weaving (https://www.google.com.ph/search?q=mat+philippines&rlz=1C1LENP_enPH650PH651&espv=2&biw=1280&bih=619&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwidyOqFicLMAhWJHJQKHY5FCM4Q_AUIBigB#tbm=isch&q=bayong&imgrc=BjDbweefob2a0M%3A)
Fashion – Filipino traditional attire