Welcome IB Mandarin Ab Initio students!
Let’s explore the wonderful Mandarin language together.
Mandarin Ab Initio course is organized into three themes.
• Individual and society
• Leisure and work
• Urban and rural environment
Each theme comprises a list of topics that provide students with opportunities to practice and explore the language and to develop intercultural understanding. Through the development of receptive, productive and interactive skills, students develop the ability to respond and interact appropriately in a defined range of everyday situations.
Students are assessed both externally and internally. External assessment consists of exercises to demonstrate understanding of authentic print texts (receptive skills), two short writing exercises (productive skills), and a written assignment (integrating receptive and productive skills)
Internal assessment tests students’ abilities in listening and speaking in a genuine conversation format (integrating receptive, productive and interactive skills). Internal assessment consists of a presentation and follow-up questions based on a visual stimulus, and a general conversation with the teacher based in part on the written assignment.
There are five assessment objectives for the Mandarin ab initio course. Students will be assessed on their ability to:
1. demonstrate an awareness and understanding of the intercultural elements related to the prescribed topics
2. communicate clearly and effectively in a range of situations
3. understand and use accurately the basic structures of the language
4. understand and use an appropriate range of vocabulary
5. use a register and a format that are appropriate to the situation.
Students are requested to bring the following items to class each period:
-Well-organized and current notebook
-Black or Blue pens
-Pencil and eraser