Why Do People Celebrate Chinese New Year?
1) to celebrate a year of hard work, family gathering and have a good rest
2) to wish for a lucky and prosperous coming year
How Do the Chinese Celebrate the Festival?
1) Reunion dinner/New Year’s Eve dinner
2) Decorate house with luck red items
- red lanterns, red couplets (对联 duì lián), upside-down fu (福 fú) are pasted on doors.
3) Red envelopes (红包 hóng bāo)
- to give hope, good luck
4) Eating lucky foods
- fish is a must (fish sounds like the word for surplus). other foods – dumplings, spring rolls, glutinous rice cakes.
5) Setting off firecrackers
- goodbye old year and welcome NEW year